TitleBaker Perkins Archive
Reference numberPAS/BP
DescriptionThis collection contains archive material relating to:
1. A M Perkins and Son Ltd 1835-1903
2. Werner and Pfleiderer (Cannstatt/Stuttgart) 1905-?1931
3. Werner, Pfleiderer and Perkins Ltd 1846-1926
4. Joseph Baker and Sons Ltd (London) c.1880s-1919
5. Perkins Engineers Ltd 1914-1918
6. Joseph Baker Sons and Perkins Ltd 1919-1924
7. Baker Perkins Ltd 1899-2012
8. Rose Forgrove Ltd 1881-2005
9. Douglas-Rownson Ltd 1901-1978
10. Baker Perkins Company, Inc (Saginaw, Michigan, USA) 1916-c.1979
11. Joseph Baker's Ltd (USA) 1915-c.1916
12. Baker Perkins Pty. Ltd (Australia) nd
13. Company History and Related Material 1874-2005
14. Other Companies (Non Baker Perkins) 1912-c.1990
15. General Photograph Albums 1912-1980s
Date1835-2012
Admin/Biograhical HistoryThe origins of Baker Perkins Ltd stem mainly from Jacob Perkins who was born in 1766 and died in 1849, and, Joseph Baker, who was born in 1823 and died in 1892.

Jacob Perkins founded Perkins and Co., Engineers in London, which was later continued by his son, and became known as A M Perkins & Son Ltd, incorporated in 1887. A company called Werner & Pfleiderer which were originally established in Stuttgart, Germany, also set up in London in 1885. In 1893 A M Perkins & Son Ltd amalgamated with Werner & Pfleiderer (London) and became Werner, Pfleiderer & Perkins Ltd.

In January 1870, Joseph Baker took out a patent for the flour sifter he had invented in Canada and later came to London where, in 1876 a business was established with his sons. In 1902 the company was incorporated as Joseph Baker & Sons Ltd.

Meanwhile, Werner, Pfleiderer and Perkins Ltd had moved their works to Peterborough, in 1904, and changed the company name to Perkins Engineers Ltd, in 1915. After working closely with Joseph Baker & Sons during the war years, the two companies merged in 1920 and became Joseph Baker Sons & Perkins Ltd. At this time they had factories at both Willesden and Peterborough.

In 1923 the company changed its name to Baker Perkins Ltd, and a decade later in 1933 the Willesden factory moved to Peterborough where the entire production was then concentrated.

In 1987 due to another merger, the company name was changed to APV Baker. The works remained at Westfield Road, Peterborough until 1991 when most of the production, machinery and staff were relocated to the new site in Paston, Peterborough. The printing machinery works were sold to the Rockwell Corporation. After further name changes in the late 1990s, the company became part of the Invensys group.

On 1 April 2006 Invensys sold the company, and as a result the name was changed back to Baker Perkins Ltd.

For more detailed information, see 'The History of Baker Perkins' by A Muir (1968) available within the Local Studies Collection at Peterborough Central Library.

'A Synopsis of the History of Baker Perkins and of the Company's activities during the period 1939-1945' by A I Baker (1946) is available within this collection at PAS/BP/7/16/1.

For further information relating to the different departments within the company, see online at www.westwoodworks.net and www.bphs.net
Extent66 boxes and 44 volumes
Access ConditionsViewing by appointment only.

To make an appointment please contact the Archives Service Team at:
Peterborough Archives Service, Central Library, Broadway, Peterborough, PE1 1RX
Tel: +44 (0)1733 864160
Email: archives.services@vivacity.org
LevelCollection
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018